Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Book of Matthew

So, for probably about a month now, I have been reading the book of Matthew. I am just now getting towards the end. Some wonder how one can read a book only full of 28 chapters and take a month to do it. Well, lets just say, I don't read a chapter a morning. I have slowly been dissecting each passage (pericope--what i've learned in RELG class--lol) at a time. Sometimes that means 4 verses and sometimes that means 12 verses. It's whatever the Spirit leads me to read. The reason for this post is to chat about how neat it has been to slowly go through Matthew. Through this process, I have come across passages that I have never personally read or heard of in church growing up. I think its common for Christians to believe that they know most of the bible pretty well, or at least think that know all of the "little bible stories" you heard growing up. Well, thats not true. Sorry to break it to you. I came across the beheading of John the Baptist. Now that would have been a cool story to hear back in the old Sunday School days, with the felt boards and coloring book Jesus and friends. Truth is, God is rocking my world. He is showing me more and more of his word and how I am NOT a know-it-all Christian like I think most of the time.... thats sin on my part. So, its a humbling process--SANCTIFICATION that I am experiencing at the moment. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not in the Word 24/7. I have even failed to be daily in the Word, but the Lord has taught me truth even of those times when I am far away. The cool thing is... God never strays away. He is still there-- in the words of David Crowder... "my God is not dead, he is surely alive!" I think the Lord has definitely taught me a lot this semester. I am so thankful for my cousin and his transformation in Christ. Our relationship as cousins has grown so much! We have the same passion--JESUS CHRIST!! We get to just sit and talk about Jesus and grace and love and whatever else the Spirit places on our hearts. He has taught me so much already. Which is really neat and very humbling. My flesh wants to be prideful and say... well I have been a Christian longer so I know more... once again--thats sin! But the Lord humbles me and shows me how passionate Doug is and wants to grow and know Christ better that he doesn't let old sin get in his way. He keeps fighting.... thats so encouraging!! He pushes me towards Christ. Its neat to see others around you loving Jesus so much that is rubs onto you! I have also experienced with a new friend I have made this year. That friend doesn't even realize how they push me towards Jesus and how I want to know Christ more and more. Just how that friend talks about the Lord is so beautiful and worshipful. They can't stop talking about Jesus! Thats how we should all be.... never-ceasing Jesus' name! Of course, that doesn't happen because of our sin and distractions, but the Lord can restore that. We are to make Christ the center of our lives..... and why wouldn't we.... Just notice.... we are sinking in his grace! What a beautiful grace that we can't stare away. A beautiful grace that we will never fulling understand. A beautiful grace we don't deserve by any means at all. Oh the precious blood of Jesus.